Milchreis is a creamy and sweet breakfast. It’s delicious and I love serving it with a homemade fruit compote. Milchreis is the Swiss/German version of a rice pudding. While there are lots of different origins for rice pudding from all over the world, Milchreis is the one I grew up with and know best. It’s generally eaten for breakfast, however, I’ve definitely had it for lunch and even dinner over the years. In my opinion, it tastes delicious any time of the day.
The rice pudding is made with Arborio rice. However, you can also use leftover white rice to give yourself a little head start. If you use leftover rice, you will want to reduce the amount of plant based milk and water as the rice does not need to soak up as much liquid when it’s already cooked.
I always add cinnamon to my Milchreis. To be honest, I happily add cinnamon to most sweet breakfasts. It’s my favourite spice and it works really well with the creamy rice pudding. To top the rice pudding, I like to add fruit compote or jam as well as toasted nuts such as almonds. However, if you happen to have a chocolate spread in your cupboard, then that would certainly also taste delicious.
If you’re looking for more easy breakfast inspiration, make sure to check out these recipes:
I hope you like this recipe. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
Milchreis – Swiss Rice Pudding
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 150 g Arborio rice
- 200 g plant based milk (I like to use soy milk)
- 200 g water
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 small pinch salt
- 20 g sugar
- 15 g almond flakes
- 80 g rhubarb-strawberry compote
- 1 handful fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan. Once hot, toast the almond flakes for 8-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the arborio rice, plant based milk, 100g water, ground cinnamon, vanilla bean paste, salt and sugar into a sauce pan.
- Cook the Milchreis on low-medium heat for about 25 minutes. Stir regularly to ensure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the 100g of water about half way through, once most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Serve the Milchreis with the toasted almonds, rhubarb-strawberry compote, fresh mint and extra plant based milk if desired.