This simple porridge with blueberries is exactly what it sounds like. A delicious, easy, quick breakfast that won’t disappoint. I make this breakfast throughout the year, but even more so during the colder months. It’s a healthy, warming and delicious way to start the day.
I actually didn’t like porridge when growing up and only really started eating porridge for breakfast when I moved to New Zealand and then Australia. In retrospect, I don’t think it was because I didn’t like the flavour or texture of porridge but rather that in German porridge is called “Haferschleim” which translates to “oat slime”. Can you blame me for refusing to eat slime as a child?
If you like oats for breakfast, then you might also like these dishes:
I hope you enjoy making and eating this simple porridge with blueberries. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
Simple Porridge with Blueberries
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 40 g rolled oats
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150 g oat or soy milk
- 1 tsp rice malt syrup
- 50 g frozen blueberries
- 1 splash water
- orange or lemon zest
- 1 tbsp cashew-orange cream or plant based yoghurt
- 1 tbsp toasted nuts (e.g. hazelnuts or almonds)
- Add the rolled oats, chia seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, oat milk and rice malt syrup into a small saucepan and cook on low heat for about 4 minutes or until the porridge is creamy. Stir regularly.
- Pour the porridge into your serving dish and rinse out the pan.
- Add the frozen blueberries and a splash of water into the rinsed-out saucepan and cook the berries for about 3-4 minutes until their soft.
- Add some orange or lemon zest and pour the berries over the porridge
- Serve the porridge with cashew-orange cream or plant based yoghurt, toasted hazelnuts (or almonds) or anything that your heart desires.