Oh…where do I even start? I love lemon cake. It’s probably my favourite cake flavour. Long story short, I’ve been determined to create a delicious zingy vegan lemon cake recipe for a while and have been working on perfecting this lemon cake for about 9 months. I’m very happy that it’s now finally the time to share this fluffy and moist lemon cake recipe with you.
When you look at the ingredients, you can see that they’re pretty simple. No crazy, unusual ingredients are used in this recipe. I wanted to keep it easy because I would love for you to enjoy making this cake just as much as you’ll (hopefully) enjoy eating it too.
This cake is great for parties, whether it be a birthday or a casual Sunday afternoon get-together. Although the decorations are quite simple, it looks really pretty. It also lasts for up to 4 days in the fridge in case you end up with leftovers.
If you have a sweet tooth, then you might also like these recipes:
I hope you enjoy making this zingy vegan lemon cake recipe. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
Zingy Vegan Lemon Cake
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 14 x 22 cm loaf pan
- 150 g room temperature vegan butter*
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 300 g white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt (1 pinch)
- 250 g oat or soy milk
- 2 lemons
- 100 g icing sugar
- 15 g lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried flowers (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan.
- Add the vegan butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste and cream until the mixture become really light and smooth. This takes about 10 minutes. Clean the paddle and bowl every few minutes to ensure everything is being mixed evenly.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a separate bowl.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and incorporate it into the mixture. Then add half of the plant based milk and mix. Repeat the same again with the other half of the dry and wet ingredients.
- Lastly, add lemon juice (about 70g) and zest from 2 lemon and mix until just combined. The batter should puff up and become airy once the lemon just has been mixed through. This is because there is a chemical reaction happening between the lemon juice and the baking soda.
- Transfer the mixture into the loaf pan and bake at 160°C fan for 60 minutes.
- To check if the cake has been baked enough, use a cake needle, chop stick or sharp knife. Stick it into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the cake has been in the oven long enough.
- Let the cake cool down completely before adding the drizzle glaze.
- Sift the icing sugar and mix it with the lemon juice until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the cake. Decorate it with dried flowers if desired.