This Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote is sweet but tangy. I don’t often cook with rhubarb but whenever I do I remember how delicious it is and how well it works in sweet dishes. Rhubarb by itself is quite sour and tart. However, paired with strawberries and a little bit of sugar, the rhubarb tastes divine.
You only need 5 ingredients and 15 minutes to make this compote. While it’s not jam that you can keep for months and months, it can be stored in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I like to make compote as part of my meal prep.
While I used fresh strawberries for this recipe, you could also use frozen strawberries. They work just as well for if strawberries are not in season where you are.
This rhubarb and strawberry compote can be served with many different dishes such as:
You could also use it as a layer between vanilla cakes or instead of jam on top of a slice of bread.
I hope you like this recipe. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 170 g rhubarb
- 170 g strawberries fresh or frozen
- 50 g water
- 30 g sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Cut the rhubarb stalk into small slices. If using fresh strawberries cut them in half.
- Add the chopped rhubarb and strawberries into a saucepan together with the water, sugar and vanilla.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes on low-medium heat until the fruit is cooked down and has fallen apart.
- Store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.