This Whole Roasted Cauliflower is delicious, savoury and practically falls apart in your mouth. It would make a fantastic main at a dinner party or at your Christmas lunch.
It is covered in a well-balanced marinade that perfectly matches the creamy texture of the cauliflower. I made the marinade with two types of tomato products (tomato paste and sundried tomatoes), capers, fresh garlic and olive oil. All of these ingredients are mashed and ground together in a mortar and pestle. However, feel free to use a blender or small food processor if you like.
Overall, you only need 8 ingredients for this dish. Prep time will take you around 10 minutes and once the cauliflower is in the oven, you won’t need to spend much more hands-on time on the dish. After baking, you simply add the toasted hazelnuts and fresh parsley and your dish is ready to serve.
Please keep in mind that the baking time depends on the size of you cauliflower. The cauliflowers that I used while testing this recipes where all between 700 und 800 grams in weight. They took between 90 and 100 minutes to bake. If your cauliflower is larger, it will likely need more time in the oven. Simply poke a knife into the centre of the cauliflower; when the cauliflower is fully cooked, the knife will go through it with ease.
If you’re looking for more delicious mains, make sure to also check out these recipes:
I hope you enjoy making and eating this whole roasted cauliflower. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to tag me @nothangryanymore in your creations on Instagram. I love seeing them!
Whole Roasted Cauliflower
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 1 cauliflower (about 800g)
- 20 g tomato paste
- 10 g olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 20 g capers
- 20 g sundried tomatoes
- 15 g toasted hazelnuts, chopped (buy toasted nuts OR toast the raw nuts at 180°C for 8 minutes)
- 1 handful parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Trim the bottom of the cauliflower and thoroughly wash it.
- Oil a cast iron pan or oven proof dish and place the cauliflower in the middle of the pan
- For the marinade, add the tomato paste, evoo, garlic cloves, capers and sundried tomatoes into a mortar and pestle and mash into a paste.Alternatively, add the same ingredients into a blender or small food processor and pulse until they form a paste.
- Brush the paste all over the cauliflower.
- Cover the cauliflower with aluminium foil or an oven safe lid.
- Bake the cauliflower at 180°C fan for 1h 30 minutes. Then, remove the aluminium foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.To check if the cauliflower is done, poke it with a knife. If the knife cuts through easily, then the cauliflower is ready to be taken out of the oven.
- To serve, sprinkle some chopped hazelnuts and fresh parsley leaves on top.