These Christmas scones make the perfect festive breakfast and are simply delightful. They’re easy to make and require only 10 ingredients that you probably already have at home – especially in December.
The orange, pistachio and cranberries work together beautifully and add a festive touch to the scones which are otherwise very simple. The scones are delicious by themselves which makes them a great take-away breakfast option. However, they’re also very tasty topped with some vegan whipped cream or coconut yoghurt as well as orange marmalade.
I’ve used plain flour and baking powder in this scone recipe. However, you can also swap the plain flour for self-raising flour (1:1 ratio) and leave the baking powder aside. Additionally, I find it easier (and quicker) to shape the dough into a circle and cut it into 6 triangles rather than stencil out the scones. Of course, it’s completely up to you how you want your scones to be shaped. If you’re feeling extra festive, maybe you even want to use a Christmas tree stencil… However keep in mind that the less you handle the dough once it is mixed, the better rise and texture you will get after they are baked.
If you’re on the look for more festive breakfast options, make sure to also check out these:
I hope you enjoy these Christmas scones. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram. Seeing them makes my day!
Christmas Scones with Orange, Pistachio and Cranberries
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 1 orange
- 150 g soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 300 g all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 20 g caster sugar
- 70 g vegan butter (e.g. Naturli Vegan Block)
- 50 g pistachios
- 50 g cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan.
- Zest the orange and keep the zest aside for later use.
- Next, juice 1/2 of the orange and add 1 tbsp into a jug.The rest of the orange is not used for this recipe – enjoy a glass of OJ or eat the orange or use it for a different recipe 🙂
- Add the soy milk and vanilla to the jug and mix it with the orange juice.
- Into a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and orange zest. Mix everything together.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the flour. With your fingers, rub the butter into the flour.
- Add the milk and mix with a spoon until nearly combined.
- Now, add the pistachio and cranberries and mix until the dough has come together.
- Empty the bowl onto a flat surface and lightly shape the dough into a circle. The dough should stay together but does not need to be kneaded until smooth like a bread dough. A bit of flakiness is exactly what we want.
- Cut the dough circle into 6 pieces (like drawing a simple snow flake) and place the scones onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the scones at 200°C fan for 10 minutes.
- Once baked, serve the scones warm – either by themselves or with coconut yoghurt and orange marmalade. Enjoy!