This carrot and coconut curry is hearty and refreshing at the same time. There are not many dishes that I would describe like that, but this curry is wholesome, comforting and energising all in one.
It’s packed with flavour and also contains lots of different textures. The carrots are soft and sweet while the tofu is a little chewy. The coconut gives the curry a hearty richness while the ginger adds a little kick and freshness. Personally, I love to add a few pepperberry leaves into this curry. However, you can also use curry leaves instead.
This curry makes a fabulous dinner all year round. I love to serve it with rice as well as flat breads. If you have time, I recommend making fluffy yeasted flatbreads. Otherwise, try these easy 4-Ingredient flatbreads.
If you’re after more delicious dinner ideas, make sure to also check out these recipes:
- Chickpea and Potato Curry
- Easy Eggplant Tray Bake Tagine
- Crispy Glazed Tofu with Wok-Tossed Greens and Rice
I hope you enjoy making and eating this carrot and coconut curry. Please let me know how you go in the comments and don’t forget to tag me in your creations Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
Carrot and Coconut Curry
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 400 g jasmine rice
- 580 g water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 20 g ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/8 tsp cardamom seeds (or remove the seeds from 5 cardamom pods)
- 2 pepperberry or curry leaves
- 2 tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 360 g firm tofu
- 600 g carrots
- 1 can coconut cream (400ml can)
- salt to taste
- 1 lime
- Thoroughly rinse the rice.Do this by adding the rice to the pot and pour in water (no need to measure the water you rinse the rice with). Swirl the water with a spoon or your finger and then pour off the water. Repeat this step 3-4 times until the water pours off close to clear.
- Once the rice has been rinsed, add the water (580g) to the pot. Bring the water to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Cook the rice for 15 minutes.
- Now turn off the heat and let the rice steam for about 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
Carrot and Coconut Curry
- Slice the onion.
- Heat up a large pot and add the coconut oil and sliced onion. Fry the onion for about 5 minutes and deglaze the pot with a splash of water if needed.
- In the meantime, slice the garlic and ginger.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, peel the carrots and cut them into 2cm wide rounds.
- Once the onion is golden in colour, add the sliced garlic and ginger together with the coriander seeds, cardamom seeds, ground turmeric, brown sugar and curry leaves.
- Toast the spices for 1-2 minutes before deglazing the pot with a splash of water.
- Now, add the tofu and carrots together with 120ml water. Add a lid and cook everything for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the coconut cream. Cook the curry for 10 minutes with the lid closed. Then, remove the lid and taste the curry sauce. Season it with salt to your preference before cooking the curry for another 10 minutes without a lid.
- Serve the curry with rice and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.