These sesame-chocolate cookies are delicious and a crowd pleaser for sure. I love how pretty they look and how tasty they are! While these cookies make a perfect addition to your Christmas baking, their flavour profile makes them a great treat all year round.
Personally, I find that the nuttiness of the sesame seeds and the deep-chocolate flavour are a perfect match.
Once the cookie dough is made, it is set as a roll in the freezer. This takes at least 40 minutes and after that they’re ready to bake. If you don’t want to bake them right away, you can leave the cookie dough in the freezer for a few days, probably even weeks. However, I have never been able to test this myself because the dough seems to (magically) disappear after a few days in the freezer.
While I like to add a sesame ring to these cookies, you could also dip the flat top into the sesame seeds instead.
If you love good cookies, you might also like to try out these recipes:
- Miso, Macadamia and White Chocolate Cookies
- Orange Almond Christmas Cookies
- Pistachio and Cranberry Shortbread
- Anzac Biscuits
I hope you like these sesame-chocolate cookies. Please let me know what you think in the comments below and don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 100 g vegan butter, soft/room temperature (e.g. naturli or nuttelex)
- 80 g raw sugar
- 40 g golden syrup
- 120 g buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 80 g sesame seeds I like to use a mix of white and black sesame seeds
- Cream the vegan butter, raw sugar and golden syrup until fluffy and light. This takes about 8 minutes.
- Add the buckwheat flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and fold it into the creamed butter until a cookie dough forms.
- Add half of the sesame seeds and fold them into the cookie dough.
- Spread the rest of the sesame seeds evenly onto cling wrap. Add the cookie dough onto the cling wrap and shape it into a roll.
- Put the cookie dough into the freezer for at least 40 minutes.*
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Slice the roll into 10 even slices and bake the cookies at 180°C for 12 minutes.
- The cookie dough lasts well in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for a couple of weeks. Feel free to only slice the amount of cookies of the roll that you'll eat at that moment in time and keep the rest in the fridge or freezer for your next cookie emergency.