Breakfast Burrito. Burritos for breakfast?! Hell yeah!
These burritos are jam-packed with…not jam, but curry scrambled tofu, a delicious mexican bean mix and of course, avocado. I’m not lying when I say that Jeremy and I have been eating these multiple times this week.
There’s a few steps included in making the burritos. So if you’re in for a quick burrito assembly in the morning, I recommend to premake the bean mix the night before because it takes around 20 minutes to cook. Also, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with having nachos in the evening using the bean mix and then having the leftovers in your breakie-burrito in the morning.
Another thing to note is that the recipe makes 8 burritos. So if you’re not a Game Changers athlete and can’t eat them all at once don’t fret. You can easily store each part in the fridge (for up to 5 days) and then assemble the burritos whenever you’re ready… Ok, maybe cut some fresh avocado, they don’t keep very long, but you probably already know that.
If you’re after more delicious and nutritious breakfast recipes, then make sure to check out these:
- Easy Scrambled Tofu with Saffron
- Easy Homemade Baked Beans on Toast
- Zucchini and Polenta Breakfast Muffins
I hope you like making and eating this breakfast burrito. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
(Click on the stars to vote!)
Bean Mix (make the night before)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 100 g fresh (or frozen) corn
- 1 small red capsicum roughly chopped
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (use 1/2 can if made on the morning of)*
- salt to taste
- 300 g firm tofu
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp olive oil (plus 1 tsp for frying)
- salt & pepper to taste
Other ingredients needed:
- 2 avocados (use 1/4 avocado per wrap)
- 1 lime
- fresh coriander (optional)
- 8 tortilla wraps
- Heat up a pot with a splash of olive oil. Add onion and garlic and let it sweat for a few minutes.
- Add ground cumin, smoked paprika and chili flakes and stir. Deglaze the pan with a small splash of water if needed.
- Now add the capsicum, corn, kidney beans, black beans and chopped tomato. Cook everything for about 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste
- Let the bean mix cool down and store in the fridge overnight. **
- Pat dry the tofu with paper towels and transfer into a medium sized bowl.
- With a fork, smoosh the tofu until it looks like a scramble.
- Now add the curry and turmeric powder, 2 tbsp olive oil as well as some salt and pepper and mix thoroughly until the tofu is coated in the spice.
- Heat up a fry pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and once hot, add the tofu. Fry the tofu for about 5 minutes or until golden in colour.
How to assemble
- On a tortilla wrap add ¼ avocado, mash it lightly and add some salt & pepper.
- Next add the bean mix on top and then the scrambled tofu. Make sure to put the in a line in the middle of the wrap, so it's easier to fold it up afterwards.
- To finish, add some lime juice and coriander if desired.
- To form the burrito, fold two opposite sides into the middle. Hold them with one hand while folding up a third side into the middle too. Then push in any filling into the little pocket just created and fold the whole thing over.
- Heat up a fry pan, add a splash of olive oil and fry the burrito seam side down first. Once golden brown, flip the burrito and fry the top side for about 30 seconds.
- Cut in half (on a chopping board, not inside the fry pan) and enjoy!