This strawberry-fennel salad is refreshing, delicious and the perfect salad to take to your next BBQ / Summer party.
Now, to be completely honest with you. I was never a huge fan of fennel. For me it was always one of those vegetables that I “had to eat” as a kid because otherwise I wouldn’t be allowed any dessert. However, over the course of last year I saw this bulby vegetable popping up all over the farmers markets and thought “why not give it a chance”. And… now I love it! It’s such an incredibly versatile vegetable! Whether eaten raw in a salad or roasted with olive oil and fresh herbs, I have to say that fennel is actually really delicious. If you’re like me, you won’t regret giving it another chance.
If you pair it with strawberries, although that combination may sound a bit odd, it makes a great salad! The aniseed flavour of the fennel works incredibly well with the sweetness of the strawberries and the spicy, peppery baby rocket. YUM!
If you love interesting, fun and delicious salad, make sure to also check out these:
- Tomato-Avocado-Peach Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Crispy Black Beans
- Cauliflower, Pear and Walnut Salad
I hope you enjoy making this strawberry-fennel salad. Please make sure to tag me in your creations on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- Mandolin (if available)
- 1 handful almonds
- 1 medium-size fennel bulb with fronds
- 100 g fresh strawberries
- 80 g baby rocket washed
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up the oven to 180°. Once hot, roast the whole almonds for about 10 minutes or until nicely fragrant. While they're roasting, continue with the steps beow.
- Wash the fennel and remove the fennel fronds. Roughly chop the fronds and put them into the salad bowl together with the rocket.
- Finely slice the fennel, preferably with a mandolin, and add it to the bowl as well.
- Slice the strawberries and mix them in the bowl with the fennel, fennel fronds and rocket.
- Add some lemon zest to the salad, as well as the juice of 1/2 lemon and a drizzle of olive oil. Add salt & pepper to taste and roughly mix everything together.
- Once the almonds are roasted, crush them up and add them to the salad. Enjoy!