This cauliflower, pear and walnut salad is hands down the perfect side salad during this festive season. It’s incredibly flavourful and includes caramelised walnuts, pear, cranberries and spices such as cinnamon. Although you could certainly make this salad throughout the year, the ingredients used definitely remind me of Christmas.
To balance the sweetness of the caramelised walnuts and cranberries, I added pickled red onions into the salad. Not only do they give the salad a little more acidity, but the red onions also add some extra colour to the salad. Finally, the salad is finished off with fresh mint leaves and orange zest.
I hope you love this Cauliflower, Pear and Walnut Salad as much as I do. Please let me know what you think in the comments and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nothangryanymore in your creations. I love seeing them!
If you’re into creative, flavourful and delicious salad, check out some of my other salad recipes!
Cauliflower, Pear and Walnut Salad
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tbsp raw sugar (about 15g)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (about 35g)
- 3 tbsp water (about 50g)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 medium cauliflower (about 720g)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50 g walnuts
- 1/2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp golden syrup (or rice malt syrup)
- 1 pear
- 25 g dried cranberries
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- zest from 1/2 orange
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Thinly slice the onions and place them into a heat proof container or bowl.
- Add the raw sugar, apple cider vinegar, water and pepper to a pot and bring to the boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, pour the pickling liquid over the onions.
- Place the container into the fridge and let the onions pickle while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets and put them into a big bowl.(I like to use the same bowl that I serve the finished salad in.)
- Add olive oil, salt, ground cumin and ground cinnamon and mix until the cauliflower is evenly coated.
- Place the cauliflower onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for 35 minutes at 180°C fan.
- Add the walnuts into a small bowl and add the orange juice and golden syrup. Mix until the walnuts are thoroughly coated.
- Toast the walnuts in the oven at 180°C fan for 10 minutes. (The walnuts can be toasted at the same time the cauliflower is roasted.)
- Add the roasted cauliflower, pickled onions and caramlised walnuts into a large salad bowl.
- Slice the pear and add it to the bowl together with dried cranberries and a handful of fresh mint.
- Finally add the zest of ½ orange and olive oil. Give the salad a mix and season with salt to tase. Enjoy!