This pepperberry gimlet is a beautiful cocktail. It’s a vodka gimlet that is shaken with native Australian Pepperberries to give it a hot pink colour. The vodka gimlet is a bright and refreshing cocktail. The addition of pepperberries gives it a little kick and a deep lasting warmth.
Tasmanian Pepperberry, or Australian Mountain Pepper, is a spice native to South East Australia. They are fragrant, a bit fruity and they’re far more potent than regular peppercorns. They make this cocktail very unique, very pink, very fragrant, and a little bit “hot”.
I used a Latvian vodka called Stolichnaya to make this cocktail. It’s a favourite of ours for mixing cocktails because it is an exceptionally good value vodka with a pleasant but mild taste. Of course, you can also use a different brand of vodka – I’m sure it’ll drink just as well! Additionally, I used my homemade simple syrup to sweeten the gimlet which is made with a 2:1 sugar to water ratio. However, if you use a store bought simple syrup, you’ll want to double to amount added because store-bought simple syrups are usually made with a 1:1 ratio.
If you love a good cocktail, make sure to also have a look at these recipes:
I hope you enjoy this pepperberry gimlet. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- Cocktail Shaker
- Fine sieve
- 1/2 tsp pepperberries
- 50 ml vodka
- 25 ml lime juice
- 12 ml simple syrup (2:1 ratio) double amount for 1:1 ratio
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice to the brim.
- Add the pepperberries then pour in the vodka, lime juice and simple syrup to the shaker.
- Add the Boston glass (or lid) to your shaker and vigorously shake for 20 to 30 seconds until your hands are icy cold.
- Double-strain by pouring with a hawthorn cocktail strainer through a small sieve into your favourite small decorative glass or a martini glass.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary