This recipe is all about one of my favourite high-protein ingredients: tofu. Tofu can divide people and you may think “you either love it or hate it”. But I say “you either know how to cook it or you don’t (yet)” so this is what today’s recipe is about. I want to show you one of the many, many ways you can make tofu delicious.
Although I’d happily snack on a bowl of these crispy, sweet, salty, glazed, delicious tofu cubes on their own… I thought I’d also show you how to make a proper meal out of it by adding some wok-tossed greens and rice.
If you’re already into tofu or want to explore other ways to cook tofu, try it as part of a Vegan Breakfast Burrito .
Happy cooking and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nothangryanymore with your creations. I’d love to see them!
Crispy glazed tofu with wok-tossed greens and rice
- Wok (preferred) but a large fry pan works too
- 130 g white medium grain rice
- 200 g water
- 1 pinch salt
- 375 g firm tofu
- 20 g cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 30 g rice malt syrup
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil (about 10g)
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (about 5g)
- 1 tbsp tamari (can sub. with soy sauce) (about 10g)
- 1 pak choy washed and chopped into mouthsized pieces
- 75 g snow peas top/tailed and cut in half
- 1 spring onion chopped
- sesame seeds
- chili flakes (optional)
- Thoroughly rinse the rice and add it into a pot together with the water and salt. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. If needed, add a splash more water until the rice is al dente. Keep the rice covered until the rest of the meal is cooked. Then fluff with a fork before serving.
Tofu and Glaze
- While the rice is cooking, pat the tofu dry with a paper towel and cut it into 1cm cubes.
- Into a shallow bowl or plate, add the cornflour, salt and allspice and mix. Then add the tofu and cover it with the cornflour. Try to get all 6 sides of the cubes covered with some cornflour.
- Heat up the wok and add 1 tbsp sunflower oil. Then add the tofu and fry it until crisp and golden.
- While the tofu is cooking, add the rice malt syrup, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and tamari into a bowl. As soon as the tofu is crispy and golden, add it into the bowl and let it sit with the glaze while you prepare the greens.
- As soon as the tofu is done and mixed in with the glaze, add the cut pak choy and halved snow peas into the wok and cook them for about 2 minutes, tossing the wok frequently to make sure they don't stick or burn.
How to serve/Toppings
- Into a bowl, add the rice, greens and the glazed tofu. Top with chopped spring onion, sesame seeds and chili flakes. Enjoy!