These yeasted flatbreads are fluffy and chewy at the same time. They’re super delicious and made with only 8 ingredients. Personally, I love the flavour and aromas that the toasted fennel, carraway and cumin seeds give these flatbreads.
As the name gives away, these flatbreads contain yeast. This means that the dough needs some time to rest (about 1 hour) after kneading so that the yeast can do its magic. I’m using active dried yeast in this recipe as this type of yeast is easily available in supermarkets. Make sure to use lukewarm water in this recipe. If you use water that is too hot or cold, the yeast will not be able to do its work. The best way to check if the water has the right temperature is to dip your finger into the water. If the water has the same temperature as you, then the yeast will love it too!
I love serving these yeasted flatbreads with a delicious curry, such as this carrot and coconut curry or this chickpea and potato curry. But they would also make a great addition to an antipasto spread or BBQ.
If you’re looking for a slightly quicker (unyeasted) version, then I recommend you make these 4- ingredient flatbreads.
I hope you enjoy making this recipe. Please let me know how you go in the comments and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 1/2 tsp active dried yeast
- 140 g lukewarm water
- 200 g flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp carraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- Mix the lukewarm water and the active dried yeast in a small bowl or cup and let sit for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile add the flour and salt into a different bowl and mix.
- Toast the fennel seeds, carraway seeds and cumin seeds in a skillet for about 3 minutes. You'll be able to smell once the seeds are toasted as they get very fragrant.
- Once toasted, add the seeds to the bowl of flour and mix them in.
- Now, pour in the yeast and water. Mix the dough with a spoon until somewhat combined and then transfer the dough onto a flat surface.
- Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes smooth.
- Place the dough back into the bowl and cover the bowl with a wet tea towel. Let the dough rest for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After resting, divide the dough into 4 even parts.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a flat surface and roll out each of the 4 flatbreads to 0.5cm thickness.
- To fry, add 1 tsp of neutral oil to a hot skillet. Add the flatbread and cook it for about 2 minutes on each side until golden.Repeat this step for all 4 flatbreads.