I love me some beautiful, fluffy pancakes for breakfast on a day off. These blueberry-vanilla pancakes are airy, light, full of blueberries and just – yum! They taste even better when served in bed and with coffee. So if you want to surprise your significant other with a breakie in bed, then these pancakes are a good shout!
The pancakes are made with aquafaba, which is the water that chickpeas are in when taken out of the can (or the remaining liquid when cooked from dry). In this recipe, the aquafaba is whipped which is why the pancakes are so light and airy.
If you don’t have any aquafaba on hand, then these vegan buttermilk pancakes might be just the ones for you! They’re creamy, fluffy and also have a slight tang to them thanks to the vegan buttermilk. Delightful.
If you opened a new can of chickpeas to use the aquafaba, here are some ideas as to what to do with the chickpeas:
Please let me know your thoughts on these blueberry-vanilla pancakes in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram @nothangryanymore.
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 50 g aquafaba*
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
- 200 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 250 g soy milk
- 100 g blueberries
- coconut oil for cooking
- maple syrup
- coconut yoghurt
- Into a small-medium sized bowl, add the aquafaba and vanilla and whip until the aquafaba is stiff and forms peaks (like egg whites). Optionally, add 1 tablespoon of sifted icing sugar half way through whipping the aquafaba to make the pancakes sweet.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix and then slowly add the soy milk while stirring.
- Now add the whipped aquafaba and gently fold it into the batter before adding the blueberries, folding them in also.
- To cook the pancakes, heat up a tablespoon of coconut oil in a fry pan. Now add one ladle of batter per pancake and cook the pancakes for 2 minutes on each side. For the first 2 minutes, cover the fry pan with a lid. This helps the pancakes rise more and cook faster.
- To serve, add your favourite toppings and enjoy!