This blueberry galette is simply divine. The blueberries are juicy and sweet with flavours that are perfectly accompanied by the orange zest. The hazelnuts give the galette a nutty flavour while creating a barrier between the berries and the pastry dough, allowing the pastry dough to bake properly (i.e. to not get soggy).
I love serving this galette to guests. It’s pretty to look at, delicious to eat and easy to make. The pastry only requires a few minutes to be put together and 30 minutes resting time in the fridge. However, you can also opt to make the pastry ahead of time and leave the dough in the fridge overnight. I like to combine the blueberries with the orange zest and sugar before I roll out the pastry. This way they have more time they absorb the citrus flavours.
Finally, a note on baking. If you have an uneven oven where the back of the oven is hotter/cooler than the front of the oven, then I recommend you turn the tray by 180 degrees after about 30 minutes of baking. This way you can achieve more even browning of the galette.
If you’re looking for more delicious desserts, make sure to check out these recipes:
I hope you enjoy this blueberry galette. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to tag @nothangryanymore in your creations on Instagram. Seeing them makes my day!
Blueberry Galette with Orange and Hazelnuts
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 50 g cold vegan butter (e.g. Naturli vegan block)
- 10 g sugar
- 1.5 tbsp water
- 50 g hazelnut meal
- 340 g blueberries
- 25 g sugar
- 1 orange
- 1/2 tbsp soy milk
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
Preparing the pastry
- Add the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl and mix everything together.
- Cut the vegan butter into small pieces and add it to the flour. Rub the butter and flour between the fingers until an even, flaky mixture is reached.
- If the dough feels a little dry, add 1.5 tbsp water and mix it into the dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a flat surface and knead until just combined.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. Alternatively, the dough can also be stored in the fridge overnight.
Making the galette
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add the blueberries, sugar and zest of 1 orange into a bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and sprinkle some flour onto a flat surface. Roll the dough out into a large circle, about 0.5cm thick.
- Transfer the dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Stab the dough with a fork a few times. This allows for more even baking.
- Now, evenly spread the hazelnut meal across the dough, leaving about 4cm space on the outside of the circle.
- Next, evenly distribute the blueberries on top of the hazelnut flour.
- Fold the naked pastry on the outside toward the middle of the galette. The pastry should overlap slightly every 4-5cm to achieve the typical "galette" look.
- Add 1/2 tbsp soy milk into a small dish. With a brush, apply the soy milk onto the folded outside of the pastry.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of sugar on top of the pastry that has just been coated with soy milk.
- Bake the galette for 40-45 minutes at 180°C fan. If your oven bakes unevenly, turn the tray 30 minutes into baking.
- Once baked, let the galette cool down slightly. Enjoy by itself or with plant based vanilla ice cream.