This simple plum crumble is not only incredibly delicious but also super easy to make and requires only 8 ingredients. It’s a great dessert to whip up if you feel like something fruity and sweet and don’t want to work too hard but are happy to wait for it to bake in the oven. It’s also a fabulous dessert to make for guests, as you can prepare the crumble ahead of time and either keep the crumble warmed up in the oven while you have dinner or reheat the crumble just before serving.
Talking about serving, this crumble is delicious by itself. However, in my opinion it’s even better with a scoop of plant based vanilla ice cream. It’s also lovely topped with coconut yoghurt if that’s more your thing.
For this recipe I used strawberry gum, a native Australian spice. I added it to the plums to accentuate the crumble’s beautiful fresh and fruity flavour. If you’re in Australia, you can order strawberry gum online or you might be able find it in your local independent grocer. Unfortunately, I don’t know how easy strawberry gum is to find in other parts of the world. If you cannot get your hands on this spice in your location, then I recommend you swap the strawberry gum for ground cinnamon.
If you’re looking for more simple, delicious and fruity desserts, make sure to also check out these recipes:
I hope you enjoy making and eating this simple plum crumble. Please let me know how you go in the comments and don’t forget to tag me @nothangryanymore in your creations on Instagram. I love seeing them!
Simple Plum Crumble
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 900 g plums
- 90 g coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp strawberry gum (or sub. with ground cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 80 g rolled oats
- 50 g flour
- 25 g plant based butter
- 25 g maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Wash the plums and remove the stones. Cut the plums into pieces (1-2 cm each side) and add them to a bowl.
- Add the coconut sugar, strawberry gum and vanilla bean paste to the bowl and mix everything until combined.
- Divide the fruit filling into 4 individual ramekins or add the entire filling to a larger baking dish.
- For the crumble, mix the oats and flour in a small bowl.
- Add the plant based butter and maple syrup to the bowl and squeeze the ingredients between with your hands until small crumbles form.
- Evenly place the crumble on top of the fruit.
- Bake the plum crumble for 30 minutes at 180°C fan.
- Let the crumble cool down for just a few minutes to avoid burning your tongue and serve with plant based vanilla ice cream.