This Black Rice Salad makes a great addition to any picnic or garden party but works just as well as a side to a BBQ. The salad is gluten free, so it’s great option when you cater for gluten intolerant/celiac friends and family.
Personally, I also like to use this salad as part of my meal prep for weekday lunches. It stores well in the fridge for 3-4 days and makes a tasty, healthy, light but satisfying lunch.
This salad presents a variety of different flavours that balance each other out incredibly well. The black rice is sweeter than other types of rice and has a beautiful dark purple colour once cooked. The kohlrabi gives the salad a savoury and sharp note while the mandarin adds some acidity and citrus flavours. Of course, the almonds add nutty and toasty flavours to the salad and the basil adds freshness.
If you enjoy creative and flavourful salads, make sure to also check out these recipes:
I hope you enjoy this black rice salad. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
Black Rice Salad
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 200 g black rice
- 400 g water
- 1 mandarin
- 1 kohlrabi
- 40 g almonds
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp verjuice (or sub. with good quality white wine vinegar)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thoroughly rinse the rice. To rinse the rice, add the rice to a pot and fill up with water, swirl the water with a spoon or your finger. Then pour off the water. Repeat this step 3-4 times until the water pours off close to clear.
- Once the rice is rinsed, add 400g water to the pot and bring the water to the boil. When the water is boiling, turn down the heat to low and add a lid. Let the rice simmer for 25 minutes. Then turn off the heat completely and let the rice steam for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat up the oven and toast the almonds for 10 minutes at 180°C fan.
- Peel the mandarin and cut the slices into small pieces. Add the mandarin pieces to a salad/serving bowl.Optional: To remove the white fibres on the outside, add the mandarin slices to a bowl of cold water. This way, you can peel off the white fibres with ease.
- Peel the kohlrabi and cut it into small cubes (about 0.5 cm each side). Add the kohlrabi cubes to the salad bowl.
- Rinse the fresh basil and add the leaves to the salad bowl.
- Once the rice is finished, add the rice to the bowl and mix everything until combined.
- Now add the sesame oil and verjuice. Mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.