These tofu summer rolls are refreshing and delicious but even better when dipped into the rich satay sauce that comes with this recipe. The rolls are perfect for eating on a hot summer’s day and they’re great for sharing with guests. You can make the rolls ahead of time OR you can prepare the tofu and chop all the vegies and get your guests to join in on the fun of filling and rolling the rolls.
The crunchiness of the fresh cucumber and carrot, the freshness of the mint and Thai basil and the chewiness of the tofu work really well together. Oh, and let’s not forget the avocado that adds a necessary creaminess to the mix. Further, the dark satay sauce is the perfect complement to the fresh rice paper rolls.
If you’re looking for more delicious summer dishes, make sure to also check out these:
- Asparagus and Nectarine Bruschetta
- Soba Noodle Salad with Smoked Tofu
- Baked Corn on the Cob with Chilli and Lime
I hope you enjoy these tofu summer rolls. Please let me know how you go in the comments and don’t forget to tag me @nothangryanymore in your creations on Instagram. I love seeing them!
Tofu Summer Rolls
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 250 g firm tofu
- 1 tsp neutral oil (e.g. rice bran oil, sunflower oil, canola oil)
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 handful mint
- 1 handful Thai basil
- 8 rice paper sheets
- 40 g smooth peanut butter
- 10 g rice malt syrup
- 10 g tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten free)
- 5 g toasted sesame oil
- 5 g rice wine vinegar
Summer Rolls Preparations
- Tip: Once a component is cut or prepared, put it onto a large shared plate. This way you'll have one plate with all your mise-en-place ready to go for assembly.
- Cut the tofu into strips. Heat up a fry pan and add a 1 tsp of neutral oil.
- Fry the tofu strips for 10 minutes until the tofu is golden on both sides.
- Peel the carrot and cut both, the cucumber and the carrot, into small strips.
- Cut the avocado into thin slices.
- Wash the mint and thai basil.
Summer Rolls Assembly
- Fill a bowl or large deep plate with water. Place one sheet of rice paper into the water for about 10 seconds until it becomes pliable.
- Remove the rice paper sheet from the water and place it on your work surface or another large plate. Into the middle of one end, add some carrot, cucumber and tofu.
- Tightly roll the paper over the fillings.
- Now, place the avocado and the herbs on top of the rolled up tofu/vegies.
- Fold in the sides of the rice paper.
- Finish rolling up the rice paper.
- Optional: Cut the summer roll in half to expose the beautiful interior.
- Mix the peanut butter, rice malt syrup, tamari, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar in a small bowl until combined.