This millet salad with roasted tomato and zucchini is simple, delicious and super easy to make. It’s perfect as a weekday lunch or as a side salad at a BBQ. The umami flavours of the roasted tomato and zucchini are soaked up by the millet while the toasted pumpkin seeds give the salad some crunch and the parsley adds freshness.
The salad is made in under 30 minutes, with only 10 ingredients and very little prep required from you. While the millet cooks on the stove, the tomato and zucchini are roasting in the oven. The pumpkin seeds are added to the oven a few minutes before the veg is done roasting. Finally, the salad is garnished with fresh parsley.
A little bit more about millet…
Millet has been cultivated in Africa and Asia for over 4,000 years and boasts a higher amount of calcium compared to other cereal grains. The grain is gluten free which makes this salad suitable for coeliacs. The United Nations have also announced 2023 as the International Year of the Millets. However, on a more personal level, millet used to by my absolute favourite food as a child. Why? Because my mum would tell me that eating millet would give me golden hair and as a five-year old all I ever wanted is to be a princess. With golden hair.
I hope you enjoy this millet salad. Please let me know how you go in the comments and don’t forget to tag @nothangryanymore in your creations on Instagram. I love seeing them!
Hungry for more?
If you’re looking for more delicious salads, make sure to check out these recipes:
- Easy French Lentil Salad
- Brown Rice Salad with Grilled Vegetables and Pomegranate
- Crispy Chickpea, Quinoa and Green Bean Salad
Simple Millet Salad with Roasted Tomatoes and Zucchini
(Click on the stars to vote!)
Roasted Tomato and Zucchini
- 5 tomatoes (about 450g, cherry tomatoes also work)
- 1 zucchini (about 280g)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 250 g millet
- 450 g water
- 1 pinch salt
- 40 g pumpkin seeds
- 1 handful fresh parsley leaves
- lemon wedge optional
Roasted Tomato and Zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Wash the tomatoes and zucchini. Cut the tomatoes into wedges or into halves if using cherry tomatoes. Cut the zucchini into cubes.
- Add the cut tomatoes and zucchini onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle olive oil on top and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes at 180°C.
- After 20 minutes, add the pumpkin seed onto the tray after and roast everything for another 7 minutes.
- Rinse the millet and add it to a pot together with the water and a pinch of salt. Bring the water to the boil and cook the millet for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and steam the millet for a further 5 minutes.
- Taste the millet for doneness and fluff it with a fork.
Assemble the salad
- Add the cooked millet and roasted tomato, zucchini and pumpkin seeds into a salad bowl. Mix everything together.
- Add fresh parlsey leaves to garnish the salad and a drizzle of lemon juice for extra freshness.