Alright, let’s talk smashed peas! Next to avocado on toast, smashed peas on toast is probably one of my most frequently eaten savoury breakfasts (or quick fix lunches). It’s super easy, quick to make and tastes delicious.
To be honest, I can’t really remember when I first came across smashed peas on toast, but it was at least a few years ago. Either way, I’m very glad I did and if you’ve never tried it before I’m even happier that I get to introduce you to it.
Now, of course you can eat them on toast with nothing else, it’s already delicious. But most of the time I like to pimp my smashed peas up a little bit. For example in the photos for this recipe where I added some thinly sliced radishes and fresh mint.
If you’d like more delicious breakfast recipes, make sure to check out these:
- Zucchini and Polenta Breakfast Muffins
- Easy Scrambled Tofu with Saffron
- Easy Homemade Baked Beans on Toast
I hope you enjoy this recipe, let me know what you think in the comments. And please don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @nothangryanymore. We’d love to see your creations.
Until next week,
Easy Peasy Smashed Peas
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 150 g frozen peas
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- fresh mint
- Heat up about 1L of water in the kettle.
- In a small pot, on medium heat, add frozen peas and boiling water. Cook until peas are cooked but still slightly crunchy. This takes about three minutes, but make sure to test them to take them out at the right time.
- Drain peas and rinse with cold water. Transfer the peas into a small bowl.
- Add balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and zest as well as salt and pepper to the peas and mash the peas roughly with a fork.
- To a plate, add two slices of sourdough and top them with the smashed peas. If desired, add thinly sliced radish and fresh mint. Enjoy!