Today I’ll share with you one of my go-to meal prep recipes. I swear by this Easy Bean Chili. It’s super versatile, really healthy and it contains plenty of protein and fibre. We probably have this at least once a week and it never gets old.
The spices in this chili are crucial and definitely bring this dish to another level. Of course, the spiciness can be adjusted to your taste. I really like how smokey this dish is too, not only the smoked paprika but also the use of two capsicums and of course all the different types of beans make this a great comfort food.
If you love comforting recipes, then make sure to also check out these:
We hope you enjoy this easy bean chili and if you do, please let us know and tag us @nothangryanymore on Instagram.
Easy Bean Chili
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- 1 tin mixed beans (about 228g after rinsing)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 2 small to medium sized capsicums (I like to use green and yellow capsicum for this dish, but you do you)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful fresh parsley (optional)
- To start off, heat up a big pot with some olive oil and chop the onion and garlic. Add them to the pot and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Chop the carrot, celery and jalapeño and add to the pot.
- Now add all the spices: thyme, oregano, ground cumin, smoked paprika and chili powder. Stir everything well.
- After a few minutes add a tin of chopped tomatoes and the beans. Make sure to rinse the beans with water first before adding them to the pot. It removes the starch and makes them taste and digest better.
- Stir and put a lid on the pot. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add the capsicum a couple of minutes before serving to keep the vitamin C content intact.
- Once everything is cooked, serve on its own or with quinoa, rice, corn bread or a side of spinach. Enjoy!