This Apple and Leek Risotto makes a delicious weeknight dinner. It’s creamy and sweet from the apples yet savoury thanks to the leek and onion. To me, risotto is a very warming meal and perfect for dinner on a cold night.
Personally, I really like the combination of apples and leeks. They balance each other out nicely. This combination doesn’t seem to be very common, but I remember having apple and leek pies in Switzerland as a child and I always loved them.
Overall the recipe is pretty straightforward and only requires 10 ingredients. As with any risotto, you will be spending some time (about 20 minutes) in front of your stove, stirring and making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of your pot. BUT, it’ll be worth your time and you’ll end up with a fantastic meal!
If you’re looking for more warming dinner ideas, check out these recipes:
I hope you enjoy making and eating this apple and leek risotto. Please let me know how you go and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I love seeing them!
Apple and Leek Risotto
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 leek
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 400 g Arborio rice
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1.5 L water
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 handful fresh dill
- Roughly chop the onion. Thinly slice the apple and leave a few slices in cold water for serving.
- Slice the leek in half, length-wise and wash it thoroughly. Cut the leek into 1cm slices.
- Heat up a pot and add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the chopped onions. Cook the onions until golden brown and deglaze the pan with a splash of apple cider vinegar.
- Add the leek and apple and cook them for 5 minutes before adding the Arborio rice.
- Mix in the rice and add the vegetable stock cube and 1L of water.
- Cook the rice for 20 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring regularly to ensure that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot. After 12 minutes, add another 500mL of water.
- Taste the rice after 20 minutes and season with freshly cracked black pepper and/or extra salt.
- Serve warm, with fresh dill and apple.