To be perfectly honest with you, I have a pretty strong love-hate relationship with tempeh. I’m not the biggest fan of it’s texture and taste, especially if it’s raw and plain. However, if it’s marinated and fried properly, I usually enjoy it. In general, I’m more of a tofu kinda gal, but Jeremy is a huge fan of tempeh and this spicy fried tempeh recipe is one of my favourite ways to cook with tempeh.
If you’ve never heard of or made tempeh before, here’s a quick explanation on what tempeh actually is: Tempeh is made from cooked soy beans which have been fermented. You can find it in the refrigerated section of your supermarket / health food store. It’s higher in calories than tofu but also less processed and contains more protein and fibre than its more popular cousin.
This Spicy Fried Tempeh is super easy to make and doesn’t need a lot of hands-on time. However, the tempeh should marinate in the fridge for a while to absorb all the flavours. This goes perfectly together with a stir fry or curry, or you could even use it as a burger patty.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do, please let us know @nothangryanymore on Instagram.
Until next time,
Spicy Fried Tempeh
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 300 g organic plain tempeh
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp sriracha (depends on how spicy you like it!)
- Slice the tempeh into bite-sized strips and add them to a large container/tupperware.
- In a pourable jar (e.g. pyrex jar) mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and maple syrup. Add 1 tsp of sriracha and taste the marinade. If you like it spicier, add some more sriracha to the mix to taste.
- Pour the marinate into the container, close and shake it well. Then leave it in the fridge for at least 60 minutes, ideally overnight.
- Once the tempeh has marinated long enough, take it out of the fridge and heat up a non stick fry pan.
- Fry the tempeh on each side for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown. I like to add the left over marinade into the fry pan too.
- Add the tempeh to your favourite stir fry, curry or use it as a burger patty. Enjoy!