This Barley and Broccoli Salad is delicious. The barley is soft but chewy while the broccoli and the hazelnuts add a crunchy contrast. Additionally, the earthy bitterness of the tahini is nicely balanced by the acidity and brightness of the lemon juice.
I most commonly eat barley when it’s a component of soup. For example in my Barley and Vegetable Soup. However, it’s really tasty in a salad and I love its unique chewiness. If you prefer pearl couscous over barley, then you can certainly substitute couscous or even your favourite grain instead.
This salad is delicious on its own or as part of a bigger spread. For example, it works great at potluck dinners or with a BBQ. It is simple enough that I like to make it for weekday lunches when I am organised enough to prep my meals ahead of time… The salad lasts for up to 4 days in the fridge. I recommend adding the dressing just before serving.
If you are looking for more salads that will wow your guests, then have a look at these:
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Crispy Black Beans
- Roasted Carrot and Lentil Salad
- Tomato-Avocado-Peach Salad
I hope you like this barley and broccoli salad. Please don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram @nothangryanymore. I always love seeing them!
Barley and Broccoli Salad
(Click on the stars to vote!)
- 200 g pearl barley
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 broccoli
- 10 g parsley leaves
- 40 g blanched hazelnuts
- 1 spring onion
- 20 g hulled tahini
- 10 g extra virgin olive oil
- 10 g lemon juice
- 10 g water
- pepper and salt to taste
- Add the barley to a pot with the vegetable stock cube and cover it with water. Cook the barley for 25 minutes until chewy.
- Heat the oven to 160°C fan and roast the hazelnuts for 10 minutes. Roughly crush them.
- In the meantime, cut the broccoli into florets.
- After 25 minutes, add the broccoli to the barley. At this point there is likely not enough water to cover the broccoli, and that's fine! Turn off the heat and put on the lid. Leave it to steam for 8 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, add the barley and broccoli onto a plate. Top it with parsley leaves, thinly sliced spring onion and hazelnuts. Finally add the dressing and serve.
- Add the tahini, water, extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice into a small bowl and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.